Thomas and I had a great time designing this nerdy nursery for our soon-to-arrive little one. With Star Wars, Doctor Who, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Star Trek, Ghostbusters, Firefly, Harry Potter, Wonder Woman, Robot, Dragon, Marvel, Monster, Dog, Lego, and Dinosaur details, we infused this room with as much of ourselves as we possibly could, while keeping it modern and classic.
We are so in love with this space and hopefully it will be a room that can grow with our little girl.
CIAO Shoe Cabinet from Structube – This was originally in my photography studio but we moved it to make our Book Nook, and it fit her quite perfectly! It will not be a shoe cabinet in here though – it’s a diaper cabinet!
Jonesport Convertible Crib in Cloud Grey – This was so not what we thought we’d like (we went in to Babies R Us expecting to buy a white crib!) but as soon as we saw it both of us loved it. We wanted something that would last the child’s entire life. This converts into a toddler bed, day bed and double bed. When we were looking for a crib, we concentrated on how it would look as a BED rather than a crib, because we figure it will be a crib for 2-3 years and a bed for MUCH longer.
Art Prints by Le Petit Elephant by Genevieve Santos – This is one of my favourite artists. I purchased the Growing Up Geek and Tea. Earl Grey. Hot art prints first, before we had even started on the room. I knew they belonged in here.
Frames are from Michaels.
Various Lego Star Wars Minifigs.
Plant is from Homesense
I adore our photo and art wall. It took a lot of different tries to get the frames right, but once we did, it was perfect! Various frames from Homesense, IKEA and Michaels.
- Hello Sweetie artwork custom designed by Ottawa Artist, Andrea Emery.
- Portraits of Paddington, Corduroy and Wellington by Scruffy Dog Photography.
- Star Trek Enterprise artwork by Jane Kerrison.
- Tardis Print by KensalPrint on Etsy.
- Turtle Power Print and Afraid of No Ghost Print by The Gorgonist on Etsy.
- Family photo and Maternity portrait by Jennifer Bailey Photography.
- Bird illustration is one of the ÖNSKEDRÖM Art Prints from IKEA.
Also shown in this image:
- Keekaroo Peanut Changer purchased from Shop.ca using a coupon from here.
- Little Animal Lover Memory Book by Lucy Darling purchased at Chapters.
- Awesome Dalek looking plant from Homesense
Tulip Soren Double Dresser – This is the MOST expensive item in the baby’s room – it’s nicer than our own furniture. We had a really hard time finding a dresser that was made well and fit our design. It’s amazing and we love it and it will last our kids WHOLE life. It’s so well made. We got it at Sleepy Hollow. Family run business. Loved them as soon as we walked inside. No pressure sales and let me order over by just emailing them with which one we wanted as well as delivered it right up into the nursery for us (which was great because it’s really heavy!).
Frame from Homesense.
Chomp and Stomp Dino booties purchased from Homesense.
A closeup of the custom artwork by Andrea Emery.
Doctor Who Prints from the Doctor Who 12 Doctors 12 Stories 12 Book 12 Postcard Gift Set.
Frames from Michaels.
Thomas made this incredible Lego Star Wars mobile using ships and planets from the Lego Star Wars Planets Series. It is constructed using fishing line and part of a painted embroidery loom.
One of our favourite parts of the room is this custom commissioned piece of typographic artwork by the amazing Andrea Emery. We sent her this quote from Babylon 5 and she designed the type and had it printed on vinyl to be applied to the closet. It’s brilliant and so amazing and really makes the room.
Crib sheet from Homesense.
- Rusty the Robot by Lamaze Toys – I found this one at the Outgrow Outplay Sale in Nepean but it’s also available at several baby stores along with others by this company.
- Coral the Dragon by Go Dog – this one is technically a dog toy but it was so cute we bought it for our kiddo from our vet office.
- Hedgehog – a gift from a wonderful friend.
- Betty and Brontosaurus by Go Dog – also a dog toy but come on, so cute! We got this one at from our vet office too.
- Crocheted Sonic Screwdriver by FandomFibres on Etsy.
For inside the closet, we thought about doing a custom fit interior, but we decided on something a bit different instead – a dresser inside the closet and we love the results! The dresser cleared the sides by mere centimetres, which was awkward to get in, but looks great when it is inside.
Dresser is NORDLI 3 Drawer Chest from IKEA.
Storage boxes on the high shelf are DRONA boxes in white from IKEA.
Corner Cabinets are IKEA PS 2014 (odd name). We put one on the floor and one on the wall. Looks excellent and visually fills the space well.
The bench idea I found on Pinterest and I’m so glad that I did. It is a KALLAX white shelving unit from IKEA, turned on its side with castor wheels added.
The boxes inside are SVIRA Boxes with Lids in Grey and White Stripe from IKEA.
- Grey and White from Homesense
- Owl Pillow (which we have named Hedwig) from Homesense
- Harry Potter Mischief Managed Pillow by White Rabbit Vinyl on Etsy
- ONSKEDROM Bird Pillow from IKEA
- Firefly Pillow from Look Human.
- Grey and White from Homesense
Aden + Anais Serenity Star – This is one of those stupid purchases that I really probably didn’t need, but it matches our nursery decor so well I just had to have it. I got it through shop.ca with a coupon. It is a night light, a white noise machine (which was recommended to me to have in some shape or form by several people) and measures the temperature in the room and changes colours if it’s too hot or too cold. I love it but we’ll see how useful it is once the baby actually arrives.
Lego Mixel Character.
Plant is from Homesense
Marvel Mighty Muggs – I am pretty sure these have since been discontinued sadly. We were collecting them for a while so our kiddo will have them to play with!
Tardis Lamp from HMV, but also available through Think Geek and many other places. This was another purchase early on. We changed the lampshade to something a bit more neutral. Lampshade is from Homesense.
Side table is actually an INGOLF Stool in White from IKEA.
ONSKEDROM Coaster from IKEA.
Shermag Luca Glider from Babies R Us – We found this when we were looking for our crib. When I saw this one at Babies R Us, I really loved it and knew it would go perfectly in the room.
XOXO Pillow from Homesense (we call this the “zozo” pillow haha).
Throw blanket is KRAKRIS in white and grey from IKEA.
Structube Webb Ottoman – I didn’t like the matching ottoman for the glider but LOVED this one. It’s not the same shade, but our nursery is a bunch of different shades of grey so it works well. It also mimics the “X” on the side table.
Book Shelves are actually White RIBBA Picture Ledges from IKEA. Anyone who knows Thomas and I knows that we love to read and we really want to instil this love of books in our kiddo so this is one of our favourite parts of the room.
- Here Be Monsters by Jonathan Emmett (Author), Poly Bernatene (Illustrator)
- My First Book of Girl Power by Julie Merberg
- Star Wars The Adventures of Luke Skywalker, Jedi Knight by Tony DiTerlizzi (Author), Ralph McQuarrie (Illustrator)
- Rosie Revere, Engineer by Andrea Beaty (Author), David Roberts (Illustrator)
- Jaberwockyby by Jennifer Adams (Author), Alison Oliver (Illustrator)
- Tyrannosaurus Drip by Julia Donaldson and David Roberts
- High, Low, Over, Under by Thomas J Bradley – Thomas wrote and Illustrated this book when he was in middle school!
- Boss Baby by Marla Frazee
- The Little Girl Who Lost Her Name by Lostmy.name – custom kids book with the child’s name spelled out throughout the story.
- The Hobbit: Illustrated Edition by J.R.R. Tolkien (Author), Jemima Catlin (Illustrator)
- The Accidental Adventures of Mariska Arisia by Thomas J Bradley – Another one by Thomas, this one is a novel. I can’t wait for him to share this story with our kiddo!
- Mr. Shaw’s Shipshape Shoe Shop by Eve Titus – This is Thomas’ favourite childhood book and it’s the actual book from his childhood.
- Red is Best by by Kathy Stinson (Author), Robin Lewis (Illustrator) – This is my favourite childhood book. When I was little, I went through a phase where I would only wear red because of this book.
- The Search for Wondla by Tony DiTerlizzi
- Gigantosaurus by Jonny Duddle
- V is for Vegan by Ruby Roth
- How Dinosaurs Play with their Friends by Jane Yolen (Author), Mark Teague (Illustrator)
- The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame (Author), Eric Kincaid (Author)
Stegosaurus wheel toy from Baby EnRoute
The following is a mish-mash of some random things that aren’t necessarily IN the room, but I wanted to point them out anyways.
- Boppy pillow – I got 2nd hand through Kijiji, but the amazing Wonder Woman cover is from Buckshotinc on Etsy.
- JJ Cole Stone Arbor Diaper Bag – This bag has been recommended to me over and over by many client and friends. I love the design and colour! I also got this one used through Kijiji, but it is also available at Babies R Us, Shop.ca, Amazon and many other baby stores.
- 4Moms MamaRoo and Infant Insert – I was so lucky to have bought this from a good friend, but it is available at Babies R Us and many other baby stores. I pretty much love anything that 4Moms comes out with (we also have their Infant Tub and Spout Cover.)
- The Star Wars Little Golden Book Library – we pre-ordered this boxed set as soon as we heard about it! They are super adorable books about the 6 Star Wars movies. Obviously we had to have this.
The dogs helped out a lot, obviously.
On Wednesday evening, after a few times postponing due to dog injuries and weather, I met with Guinness and his owner, Alana, for an awesome session at the Arboretum. We had a wonderful time playing and photographing this beauty.
Guinness is a 10 month old chocolate lab with the best manners and is such an amazing dog!
Nom Nom Nom…
Fave. Such a good puppy. He got bored of sitting so he just laid down. Good dog.
“ERMAGERRRD LERRRVES” lol. Guinness preferred if we only threw one leaf in the air at a time. He’s a one leaf kind of guy.
On Saturday afternoon I spent some time with Lauren and Mike and their adorable little pup, Benji celebrating their engagement and upcoming wedding next spring.
On Saturday we had the most perfect weather for the Uberig Family’s session in Manotick.
We had a great time walking around and their pup, Ginger, was in her glory going for a super long walk!
This one is a funny behind the scenes shot of one of the next images. Sometimes we all need a little help getting up onto the rock to pose.
Last Friday I had the best time with Pam and Matt and their two adorable pups.
I can’t wait for their wedding next summer at the Mill Street Brewery!